We now move on from looking at Science as an Area of Knowledge to Mathematics. We're still interested in how the four Ways of Knowing are used in this Area of Knowledge.
In order to get familiar with a few key topics, you'll be working in small groups on something creative… your task is to create a 3-5 minute video that creatively illustrates the following concepts (not necessarily in this order):
- Patterns in mathematics
- including the Fibonacci sequence, the Golden ratio
- The way deductive proof works in Mathematics
- Aesthetics in mathematics – can mathematics be art? (look up 'fractals')
- Gödel's incompleteness theorem
You'll need to spend some time researching these things before you begin to put your video together. Split up the process as follows:
- Research the concepts – split this up between team members (1 lesson maximum)
- Describe each of the concepts to each other (best way to learn!)
- Brainstorm ways you could represent these in a video
- Plan the components of your video
- Decide who will create which aspects of it
- Decide who will undertake which roles (eg. Editing etc)
- Make the video!
When it's all done, post it on your blog with a few comments about what you learned, or on youtube (if youtube, send me a link to it, and also comment on your blog about what you learned).